My name is Kaiti Meade, and I am about to begin my third year as a health and physical educator in DeKalb County! Last school year, after breaking my foot incredibly badly, I switched to teaching health full-time, and this will be my first full year in a health classroom. There's a rumor going around that this year I'm getting a classroom!
For the last two years, I taught health in a former closet, upstairs from the gymnasium at my school. The closet has no heat, no air, no windows, no intercom... during my first year, it didn't even have a white board! I've made it work, and most of my students report that they love health - despite the classroom situation. Some students even grow to enjoy the secluded nature of the closet.
But, but, but - I am SO excited that the rumors may be true and we may be getting a change of scenery! Either way, I think it is time to start making my closet more of a classroom. Some of the ideas I'd like to implement this year (and will hopefully have more space to make it happen):
For the last two years, I taught health in a former closet, upstairs from the gymnasium at my school. The closet has no heat, no air, no windows, no intercom... during my first year, it didn't even have a white board! I've made it work, and most of my students report that they love health - despite the classroom situation. Some students even grow to enjoy the secluded nature of the closet.
But, but, but - I am SO excited that the rumors may be true and we may be getting a change of scenery! Either way, I think it is time to start making my closet more of a classroom. Some of the ideas I'd like to implement this year (and will hopefully have more space to make it happen):
- A "Help Yourself" Area where students can find a stapler, hole punch, pencils, pencil sharpener, hand sanitizer, lotion, make-up work, and so on.
- An extra table and storage behind my desk to help get more organized - especially when it comes to grading.
- Desks in groups to encourage collaborative work/discussion.
- Lighting so I don't have to use the fluorescents that cause headaches.
- A better/more organized turn your stuff in area
- A jumping jacks area for 20/20/25
What else do I need?
Comments
Post a Comment